The American Society of Plastic Surgeons quoted the national average for Artefill is approximately $2,300. Syringes contain either 0.4cc or 0.8cc, depending on the area treated. ArteFill cost will vary depending on the number of treatments needed and the extent of the lines and wrinkles to be treated.
If you are considering having ArteFill fillers but want to explore more about the financing options available before you make your decision, PLEASE CLICK HERE. You can discuss your financial options with your Artefill doctor, and find out if there are any loans of flexi-payment plans available to you.
Am I a candidate for PMMA/ArteFill treatment?
Men and women of any age may receive ArteFill treatment. Ideal candidates may have already tried temporary injections, are sure of the results that they want to achieve, and are sure they want a permanent result. ArteFill is not suitable for people with allergies to bovine collagen or patients with chronic skin infections. ArteFill is not recommended for areas of thinner skin, such as laughter lines around the eyes.
You may be a suitable candidate for ArteFill if:
- You are physically healthy
- You don’t smoke
- You have realistic goals in mind for the improvement of your appearance
Certain medical conditions and medications may affect whether you are a suitable candidate for ArteFill treatment. Be sure and check with your ArteFill doctor.
What is a polymethyl-methacrylate microspheres (ArteFill) Procedure?
Polymethyl-methacrylate microspheres (PMMA or ArteFill) treatment (the procedure is also known as soft tissue augmentation) is a non-resorbable injectable dermal filler for permanent correction of wrinkles and lines on the face. The PMMA microspheres in ArteFill are not absorbed by the body and so are able to provide permanent support for wrinkle correction.
ArteFill is a gel dermal filler consisting of millions of synthetic microspheres (Polymethyl-methacrylate or PMMA) suspended in purified bovine (derived from cows) collagen. ArteFill also contains the local anesthetic lidocaine to reduce discomfort during injection.
The appearance of our faces changes as time goes by, due to deterioration of the underlying collagen, hyaluronic acid, fat stores and elastin fibers in the deeper layers of the skin. This causes lines and wrinkles around the eyes, mouth, cheeks, jaw line, brow, and bridge of the nose, producing crow's feet, laughter lines, folds and furrows on the face. ArteFill permanently fills in and contours these signs of aging.
ArteFill is used by dermatologists and cosmetic surgeons for the correction of smile lines (nasolabial folds), and is also used to correct lines and wrinkles all over the facial area.
ArteFill is injected directly beneath the wrinkle to add a permanent support structure and smooth the treated area. ArteFill is different from temporary dermal fillers which are eventually absorbed by the body and require repeat treatments. The PMMA microspheres in ArteFill cannot be absorbed by the body, so they provide a permanent supportive foundation for long-lasting wrinkle correction, unlike other soft tissue fillers. The microspheres stimulate the body to generate its own natural collagen which envelops each individual microsphere, resulting in permanently filled-in and plumped up wrinkles. ArteFill treatment takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes to perform. Two treatment sessions may be necessary to achieve the patient’s desired results. These are usually performed three to six weeks apart.
ArteFill is administered by a series of injections with a fine needle over a few minutes. ArteFill is injected underneath the wrinkle, just above the skin’s fat layer. The treatment itself is similar to that of temporary dermal fillers like Radiesse, Restylane or Juvéderm. Most patients require one or two ArteFill treatments, depending on the depth and extent of their wrinkles and folds.
ArteFill patients may resume normal activities immediately.
PMMA/ArteFill treatment Procedure Steps
Injections are usually given in a dermatologist's office. Before beginning treatment, a skin test may be administered to determine if you are likely to have an allergic reaction to the PMMA substance, as some patients are allergic to bovine collagen which is present in ArteFill.
Step 1 – Preparation and anesthesia
Step 2 – Injections
- The face is cleaned and a topical anesthetic may be used, though ArteFill contains lidocaine, a local anesthetic similar to the one used by dentists.
Step 3 – The results
- The ArteFill is injected directly into the area to be treated using a very small needle. You may feel a stinging or burning sensation as the filler is inserted.
- A change in appearance of wrinkles will be immediately seen, though it may take up to three months for the final results of your ArteFill treatment to become apparent.
PMMA/ArteFill Recovery and Healing Steps
You may experience mild swelling, bruising, numbness or redness after your ArteFill treatment, but no recovery time is required after ArteFill injections. It is recommended that you avoid strenuous activities, however.
ArteFill injection recovery times are very short and you should be able to return to your normal activities immediately.
PMMA/ArteFill Side Effects and Surgery Risks
The most common ArteFill treatment side effects are similar to those of other injectable dermal fillers, and include mild swelling and reddening at the treatment site. These side effects usually resolve within 24 hours. Sometimes there may be bruising, but this typically disappears in three to seven days. Less common side effects include rash and itching, persistent swelling or redness, and increased sensitivity at injection sites. A skin test is required before initial treatment to make sure the patient is not sensitive to bovine collagen.
ArteFill risks are uncommon, but may include:
- Shifting or clumping of the filler material - surgical removal may be necessary to correct these lumps or nodules
- Infection at the injection site
- Acne-like skin eruptions
- Allergic reaction to bovine collagen
- Skin necrosis (skin death)
- Skin rash and/or itching
- Skin sensitivity
- Under or over correction of wrinkles
Questions to Ask a Surgeon About a soft tissue fillers procedure
Knowledge is power so arm yourself with the facts before making any decision about ArteFill treatment. Here is an essential checklist to help you find the right Perfect Yourself Surgeon.
- Am I a good candidate for ArteFill treatment?
- Are my described expectations realistic?
- Where is the ArteFill treatment performed?
- How long will the procedure take?
- What kind of anesthesia is used?
- What is your experience in performing ArteFill treatment?
- Can I see your qualifications?
- Ask to see any ArteFill treatment before and after photographs of recent treatments?
- What percentages of your ArteFill treatment patients have had significant post-treatment complications? (surgeons should disclose this information to you)
- Who will be assisting my surgery? Can I see their qualifications?
- How much will my ArteFill treatment cost?
- Do you offer patient financing? (Flexible payment schemes for your surgery)
- Will you repeat/correct procedures if the agreed goals are not met? If this is the case, will I be charged again?
- Ask to observe the exact procedure you are considering before you decided to have the treatment, if you are unsure (this could be on videotape or in real life).
- What is the recovery and healing period for ArteFill treatment? When can I resume full normal activity?
- Have you ever had your malpractice insurance coverage denied, revoked, suspended?
- Ask for and follow up on patient references (these can be invaluable to finding out what your surgeon is really like and the level of customer satisfaction he/she has received in the past)